Policies and demands on open access
Both KI and research funders as well as the government advocate that scientific publications should be published openly and freely available (open access).
KI:s policy on open access
The open access policy at Karolinska Institutet applies to all researchers employed at KI who publish the results of their research.
The policy includes three principles:
- KI’s researchers have to make their peer-reviewed publications openly and freely available (open access). Where possible, this has to be done immediately in conjunction with publication. This principle can be fulfilled either by publishing the article open access in a journal or by self-archiving the manuscript in an open archive. Find out more about how to publish open access.
- Where possible, KI’s researchers have to choose an open license, e.g. a CC BY license, for their publications. A CC BY license without restrictions means that others are allowed to share (copy, distribute and transmit the material irrespective of medium or format) and process (remix, transform and build upon the material) as long as the author is recognized. The CC BY license is the one recommended in the KI open access policy, find out more about the different CC BY licenses and how to use them.
- Where possible, publications have to meet the FAIR principles. (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable). Find out more about the FAIR principles and how you can fulfill them.
Research funders' policies and demands
Many research funders have demands on publishing open access. Some of them are listed below:
- Forte: Open access
- Formas: Open science
- Horizon 2020 (European Commission): Open access & Data management
- Horizon Europe (European Commision: Annotated Model Grant Agreement
- Swedish Research Council: Publishing your research open access
- White House Office of Science and Technology Policy: OSTP Public Access Memorandum
Read the news about the White House Office of Science and Technology's new open access policy: Federally-funded-research-freely-available-without-delay
Read KI's policy on open publication
- Policy for open publication at Karolinska Institutet (PDF, 123.84 KB)
If you would like us to get back to you, please submit your contact information in the form below along with your feeback.