How to start the page numbering on (for example) page 3
In more formal texts, such as theses and dissertations, it is common that the page numbering first starts with the introduction or background. Thus, the page numbering is excluded on the title, abstract and table of contents page.
This step-to-step guide describes how to start the page numbering on page 3 with the number 1. However, these numbers depends on your specific text and layout.
The guide is made for the latest version of MS Word, both for PC and Mac.
- Start by clicking on ¶ to show the section break.
- Put the cursor after the text on the page that should be the last one without a page number, for example the table of contents.
- Click on the Layout tab. Select Breaks → Sections Breaks → Next Page.
- Put the cursor on the page where the page numbering should start (that is section two in the document).
- Click on the Insert tab and Page Number. Select position and style for the pagination.
- Click on the bottom of the page to activate the Header & Footer menu. Deactivate Link to Previous and check that Different First Page is unchecked.
- To make the page numbering begin with 1: go to the Insert tab → Page Number. Select Format Page Numbers... → Page numbering → Start at and add 1.
- Well done!