Part 4: Use citations (Word - PC)
Download the plug-in
There is a plug-in to Microsoft Word – Cite While You Write (CWYW) – available to download in your Endnote Online library. You use the plug-in to insert your citations into your text. The plug-in is compatible with:
PC: Word 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016
Mac: Word 2008, 2011 and 2016
If you wish to download the plug-in to your own laptop, start with loggin in to Endnote Online, click on Format and Cite While You Write Plug-In.
Close all windows connected to Microsoft, like Word or Outlook before you start the installation.
While installing the plug-in you get some choices:
Set Server choose Default.
Select Features choose Cite While You Write Microsoft Word.
When you need to insert a citation:
1. Place the cursor where you want the reference to be inserted in the text.
2. Then Find Citations.
3. A dialogue box will turn up. For example, type in an author name or title words in the search box. It is important to use the correct spelling of a word or name when you search. Otherwise you will not get any result. A recommendation is to copy the title of the reference to be inserted from your Endnote Online-group.
4. Click Find.
5. Mark the reference and click the button Insert. The reference will be inserted as a temporary reference.
6. Continue writing in your work and insert references as above.
Shared group of references
If anyone else shared a group of references with you that you want to put into Word, do like this: In Organize, go to Other's Groups and to the group you've been assigned. Check the box sayin Use for Cite While You Write. Log then off from your Endnote library and log in again. If it doesn't work directly it's because it could be a delay.
Creating a reference list
When you have inserted your citations into your text and need the bibliography, click the small arrow, down to the right in the group Bibliography. A dialogue box will turn up.
Choose the document you are working with in the first dropdown menu and then choose the citation style to use for your references in the dropdown menu under With output style heading.
Click OK and your bibliography is created in your document.
You can always change the citation style by repeating as above. When the new style is chosen the entire document will be updated into the new style.
Separate reference list
If you need a list of references, for example for a literature list, do the following:
- Move the references you want in the reference list to a folder under the tab My References.
- Under the tab Format choose Bibliography.
- References: choose that folder in which you put the references.
- Bibliography style: choose the style you want your references to be formatted in.
- File Format: choose for example TXT (plain text file).
- Click any of the buttons that give you the possibility to save, e-mail or print the reference list.
Updating a reference
If a reference needs to be changed, if for example a year is missing, don´t do that change in Word, but do it in your Endnote library. Otherwise the change will disappear the next time you update your document. So in Endnote Online, go to the reference that needs to be changed, click on the title of the reference in the list of references and in the form, click on the fields that need to be updated and Save.
Go to Word and click on that reference you have changed in Endnote. Now there are two ways for the change to break through in Word:
1. Click on Convert to Unformatted Citations, the button below Convert Citations and Bibliography. Now all your references will be unformatted.
Click on Update Citations and Bibliography. Now all your references should be updated and formatted again, and the change of the reference should have break through.
2. If you have tried this and it did not work, click on the reference you need to change in Word. Then, right click and choose the last alternative in the menu Edit Citation(s) and then More.
Then a small box will turn up and control that it is the correct reference that is high-lighted. Click on the small arrow to the right of the reference and choose Update from My Library... Then, a new box will turn up asking if you want to insert the updated reference, click on Insert and then in the next box, OK. The change has hopefully broken through.
Convert to Plain Text
When the document is complete and ready to be sent in to for example the supervisor, it is important that the Endnote codes are removed from the document. The codes are unvisible but necessary for the function of the connection between Word and Endnote Online. So before sending it, save the version with codes (for your own work) and save one without codes and send that version.
1. Click on Convert Citations and Bibliography. Choose Convert to Plain Text.
2. A dialogue box will turn up asking if you want to save the document or continuing without saving the field codes. Choose Yes and save the document with codes and then the one without codes.
Important! Name the document so it is obvious which document that still has the field codes and which does not, for example "with codes" and "without codes". If the document with the codes is removed you can not get the codes back again.