What is a patient group?
The term patient group is an organizational expression within the Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset theme organization.
Each patient group is defined by a list of ICD codes. To be able to compile the research that has been done within a patient group area, a search profile is created based on the translation of these ICD codes to the MeSH terms (Medical Subject Headings) used to index material in PubMed.
Each patient group focuses on either adults or children (or rarely both). Since ICD codes and MeSH Profiles are usually not limited to specific age groups, you can in the bibliometric system separately limit you search results to, for example, either adults or children.
- Children or adults
- No limit to age, this option includes all publications on the topic no matter if an age group is mentioned or not.
- Children, exclude publications only about adults
- This option includes all publications except the ones that only talk about adults. This means that articles not discussing an age group will be included here.
- Adults, exclude publications only about children
- This option includes all publications except the ones that only talk about children. This means that articles not discussing an age group will be included here.
- Children - explicitly
- Publications that explicitly mention children.
- Adults - explicitly
- Publications that explicitly mention adults.