Part 5: Tips and tricks
Different reference styles (Output styles) are using either full journal titles or different kinds of abbreviations. By using Term Lists in Endnote, this problem can easily be solved.
- In Endnote, go to Tools → Open Term Lists → Journal Terms List.
- (If the Journal Terms List is empty, skip to step 4.) Highlight the first journal, and press [Ctrl]+A on the keyboard to highlight all the terms.
- Press the Delete Term button to the right. Now we have a clean slate to start with.
- Go to the Lists tab at the top, and click on the Import List button.
- Browse to the Term Lists folder within the Endnote folder. Import termlist for Medical, BioScience and in some cases Chemical depending on your area of research.
– Windows: C:\ Program Files \ EndNote \ Term Lists.
– Mac: Applications \ EndNote \ Terms
If your output style is still not using the correct substitution, check as below:
- Go to Edit → Output Styles → Open Style Manager.
- In the list of styles, highlight the style you are using and click Edit.
- Choose Journal Names.
- Make sure the style is using the Full Name or one of the Abbreviations, and you should be all set.
More output styles
Endnote is loaded with a limited amount of output styles, import filters and connection files. That is due to computer performance: it takes too much time to open the program with all the files in the program – and you don’t need them all! Instead, visit endnote.com and download the files you need.
Do the following steps:
- Go to Endnote.
- Click on Help and choose EndNote Output Styles.
- Click on Add output styles.
- Type the name of the journal.
- Download and save the file.
- Open or double-click on the downloaded file and Endnote will be launched.
- Go to File menu and choose Save As.
- Go to File menu. Click on Close Style.
There are a set of Word templates for a variety of journals installed in EndNote. If your chosen journal is in the list you can get a lot of formatting help from the template, including manuscript title, authors, headings, proper margins, pagination, line spacing, title page, abstract page and other formatting elements. This can make your submission process easier.
Do the following steps:
- Go to Endnote.
- Click on Tools and choose Manuscript Templates…
- Select and Open a desired template
- This opens a new document in Word and starts EndNote Manuscript Wizard to help you prepare your manuscript.
Note: The first time you launch the wizard, you (may) have to enable macros to continue. You can either enter the information requested by wizard or click Finish to bypass the wizard and start working in the document.
You have the possibility to find duplicates in your library and edit the information in the reference you want to keep.
- Go to References → Find Duplicates. By default, Endnote identifies duplicate references in a library by matching Author, Year, and Title fields.
- The program highlights the information that differs between the duplicates. Choose which reference you want to keep.
Unfortunately you can’t be sure that there are no duplicates left. If the references are imported from different databases, there could be some disparities that make the Endnote program treat them as unique references. To be absolutely sure, you must check the list manually as well. Maybe the most efficient way is to browse after you have sorted the library by titles.
Are you about to write an article/report/essay/text together with one or more colleagues and thinking about how you could integrate Endnote while working on the same document?
If this is the case there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- One possibility, for you and your collaborator(s), to get access to a word document and an Endnote library on a shared network drive (but not on any cloud service). By doing so you are making sure that only one person at the time is working with the document. This should work quite well. What you need to avoid is using multiple word documents and multiple Endnote libraries, this can and will probably cause trouble when integrating the documents and the libraries.
- Our recommendation when cooperating on a document is making one person the administrator of the Endnote library, meaning this person is the only one actually taking care of the library and adding Endnote references into the word document. If you organize the writing process in this way, our experience is that you will encounter fewer problems.
In Endnote version X7, X8 and X9 there is functionality called Library sharing.
If you want to have suggestions on journals where to submit your manuscript, you can try the Manuscript Matcher in EndNote. You start by selecting the group that contains the references used in your manuscript and then adding information about your manuscript; title and abstract. You will get suggestions on journals included in the database Web of Science. (The suggestions are based on analysis of published papers and citations.)
- Go to Word.
- Choose EndNote X9 tab.
- Click on Manuscript Matcher.
Store your library
EndNote libraries should be kept on your computer's hard drive. EndNote libraries should never be stored in cloud-syncing folders such as DropBox etc. Syncing folders corrupt EndNote libraries over time. Learn more about the care of healthy EndNote libraries on Clarivates web page.
You’re able to access your references from anywhere and manage your Endnote library from any computer using Endnote Online, including a two year access.
Endnote for iPad
Endnote is also available as an App for iPad. For more information, visit www.endnote.com/product-details/ipad.